By the end of the 1930s the Derby Bentley, BENTLEY 4 1/4 LITRE DERBY was introduced towards the beginning of that decade following the firms take-over by Rolls-Royce, had undergone a number of significant developments, not the least of which was an increase in bore size in 1936 that upped the capacity to 4,257cc, a move that coincided with the adoption of superior Halls Metal bearings. This new engine was shared with the equivalent Rolls-Royce – the 25/30hp – and as had been the case with the preceding 3.5-Litre model, enjoyed a superior specification in Bentley form, boasting twin SU carburettors, raised compression ratio and a more sporting camshaft. Thus the new 4-Litre model offered more power than before while retaining the well-proven chassis with its faultless gear-change and servo-assisted brakes. The Derby Bentley 4 1/4 was, of course, an exclusively coachbuilt automobile. Of the 2,442 manufactured, almost 50 percent were bodied by Park Ward.
BENTLEY 4 1/4 LITRE DERBY